Lucrativeness of farming has been sold to the masses in Nigeria, so much that everyone, young and old, rich and poor are trooping towards it, in many cases blindly. This interest in farming is a good sign, but the concerns of what really drives young people towards farming remain. Below are 5 things to put in place before going all out on agriculture in order to reap the much mentioned success in the sector.
- Information/knowledge. How much knowledge about farming do you possess? Like any other profession, farming requires expertise, in fact it requires a great deal of expertise because of the dynamic aspects of agriculture. Information such as weather patterns, what crop to farm and the market, are very important. If you are truly keen on going into farming, roll up your sleeves and learn first.
- Passion. How much do you want to farm? What motivates you to become a farmer? Many young people are lured into the business with the glossy stories of success in the media without acknowledging the potentially disastrous risks involved. If you are not so much into it, the returns won’t be too much into you either.
- Capital. Young people interested in farming encounter their first hurdle in terms of capital. This is normal. Remedy for this can be found in the many agricultural support loans being given out by organizations, banks and even the government. The most important thing is the information on how to access these financial services. I will provide information on these loans and grants for farmers in my next
- Total Commitment. There is a new crop of young farmers who engage in farming “via proxy” or mobile phone farming if you will. This doe a good farm manager, there a number of things that will go wrong without your actual presence. For greater rewards in farming, you need to be on site. As a result, urban farming is taking root in the cities.
- Persistence. You are more likely to be disappointed by your farm in the beginning. This is called the learning period and giving up should not be an option. Wrap the failures under the folder of experience and use it to become better. It is important to expect misfortunes and be ready for them. Just remember to keep on.
With these points considered, you can now decide to roll out your dream.
434 total views, 5 views today